Monday, February 25, 2013

Winged Square Quilt Block

I saw the Winged Square Quilt Block on Made During Quiet Time and I just kept thinking about it and thinking about it until finally I had to drop everything and go make one myself.


I love how Amy arranged her fabrics, with the center square a blend of 2 main "wing" colors. Super cool and graphic. I chose peach and pink as my two main colors, and used my beloved Sweetwater sewing dictionary fabric as the background.





I'm not sure how large Amy's blocks are, but I decided to supersize mine. My finished block is 24.5" square, with each finished half square triangle measuring 4.5" (unfinished).


I'm really drawn to pale colors right now, and I love the combo of pale pinks, salmons, peach and lemonade yellows with the creamy background. A fussy-cut Snow White scene from Heather's Ross's Far Far Away II seemed to fit perfectly in this soft block.


I'm envisioning mounting and framing this block as a piece of wall art. Thoughts? I'd love some suggestion on this! Have you ever framed a quilt block? Is it hard?

Happy stitching,

Kelly


<a href="http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/3178201/?claim=vwe4uzcbv9p">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>

12 comments:

Andie Johnson said...

I fuh-reaking love this!! Love love love.

Jean(ie) said...

The dictionary fabrics (swoon!). I love the peach and pink together with the black and white!!!!!!

I want to see more of this. I really, really, really do!

Anonymous said...

I have no willpower. I have already ordered some of that great text print. I am a book editor who sews, so how could I resist a dictionary print with sewing terms?
Your block looks great!

Tamie said...

Very cool. I have never framed a block so I'm no help there. We missed you this past week. See you tomorrow.

Kelly Biscopink said...

Thanks lady!

Kelly Biscopink said...

Thanks jean! Ok, you've encouraged me to keep going.

Kelly Biscopink said...

Are we long lost twins? I'm an editor too.....

Kelly Biscopink said...

I missed you too, tamie! See you soon! I can't wait to hear all the stories!

Unknown said...

Ok... GORG! Don't care if you use it as a floor mat let alone frame it! It is beautiful. Just love the color choices and the fabrics.

kz said...

Looks lovely! Great color choices :)

Melanie said...

What a great block! I love the colors that you chose... and that type print that you used for the foundation color. Now I might have to try this block :)

StevenHWicker said...

Great tips, many thanks for sharing. I have printed and will stick on the wall! I like this blog. Fabric Bundles for Sale